For the international student, James Madison University (JMU) is an exciting destination, where the ideals of American education – first-class teaching and a rich campus life with a strong sense of community – come together to offer an incredible experience.
JMU is surrounded by the beautiful mountains of Virginia’s Shenandoah Valley, just two hours from the nation’s capital of Washington, D.C. We are a fairly large university with approximately 20,000 students, yet offer a safe and hospitable environment with a family feel and a strong culture of community and civic engagement. Named after the father of the U.S. Constitution and a great statesman, our university is delighted to welcome international students and is committed to making you feel at home.
We want all students to succeed and believe that our partnership with Study Group creates a friendly environment where our students can improve their English language skills while also taking courses in our academic programs. All students take courses in our General Education Program, which offers a liberal arts foundation that will help you to think in different ways as you solve problems and address issues in the world today.
We also offer a wide variety of excellent academic majors. Our faculty members are devoted to teaching, guiding research and mentoring as you develop as a scholar and mature as a human being.
JMU offers an unforgettable university experience, combining the very best of American education and college life. Named after James Madison, the fourth president of the
United States, JMU represents the perfect blend of focused learning and true university spirit.
- #2 top public school in the U.S. South U.S. News & World Report, 2016.
- 17th best public undergraduate business school in the U.S. Bloomberg Business week, 2014.
- 98% Alumni satisfaction rate.
- 59th best college for educational quality, affordability, and career outcomes in the U.S. CNN’s Money Magazine, 2015.
- Top 75 best value public university in the U.S. Princeton Review, 2015.
- Top 7% return on investment in the Nation Payscale 2015.
Student satisfaction 92%
- Freshmen retention rate, compared to national average of 72% of all four year public institutions JMU report, ACT report, 2015.
- 25,000+ students apply each year.
- 8 is the average high school GPA of JMU’s freshmen class.
Category: Public/State University
Location: Harrisonburg, Virginia
Campus: 2.8 km2
Student population: 18,431 undergraduates, 1,750 graduates
International student population: 2%
Faculty to student ratio: 16:1
Average class size: 29
Accreditation: Commission on Colleges of the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools and 25+ specialized accreditations for academic programs including AACSB (business), ABET (engineering and technology) and NASAD (art and design).
Degree programs: 76 undergraduate, 60 graduate, 2 educational specialists, 8 doctoral.
Schools & Colleges of James Madison University
Schools & Colleges
College of Arts and Letters
College of Business
College of Education
College of Health and Behavioral Studies
College of Integrated Science and Engineering
College of Science and Mathematics
College of Visual and Performing Arts