The University of Exeter traces its origins to schools and colleges established in the nineteenth century as a result of the energies and visions of individual educational reformers and philanthropists in the South West of England. In 1955 the University of Exeter was established by Royal Charter and is now one of the leading research-oriented universities in the UK.
- Ranked 8th out of 121 UK universities in the The Times and Sunday Times Good University Guide 2014. Exeter is also top 10 in the Complete University Guide 2014 .
- A member of the prestigious Russell Group of universities • In the 2008 Research Assessment Exercise all subjects were assessed as including world-leading (4*) research and nearly 90 per cent of all research was rated as being at internationally recognised levels.
- After a £475 million pound capital investment programme Exeter’s teaching, research, social and sporting facilities are amongst the very best in the UK.
- The University of Exeter offers a wide range of research-led academic programmes across our Exeter and Cornwall campuses.
- Exeter has a strong and inclusive international community, with around 5000 international students from over 130 different countries.
Lord Myners of Truro, CBE, is the University of Exeter’s Chancellor, the ceremonial head of the University.
Paul Myners is a former Government Minister who has chaired household name companies including Marks & Spencer, the Guardian Media Group and Land Securities. He also holds an Honorary Doctorate of Laws from the University of Exeter.
On his appointment to the role of Chancellor in 2016, Paul said, “I’m delighted and honoured to take up this post, and to be involved in the next stages of the University’s incredible journey.
"Alongside building up a reputation for world-leading research and excellent teaching and student satisfaction, I’ve been interested to see the University foster strong collaborations across the South West, notably in my home county of Cornwall. I believe these links have contributed to the success that has seen Exeter climb up the national and international rankings, and it’s very positive news for the region in terms of economic impact and raising aspiration. Floella has been a fantastic Chancellor and will be a tough act to follow, and I look forward to continuing her legacy of putting students first.”
Lord Myners is only the sixth Chancellor to be appointed by the University of Exeter, since it was created in 1955. He succeeded Floella Benjamin, a broadcaster, actress and writer.
One of the world’s top universities
- Exeter features in the top one per cent of universities in the Times Higher Education world university rankings, the most influential global league table.
- We are ranked 9th by The Times and The Sunday Times Good University Guide 2017,
- A member of the prestigious Russell Group of research-intensive universities
Dedicated to world-class research
- Outstanding results at the Research Excellence Framework 2014
- Funded Doctoral Training programmes with all major UK research councils
- A high proportion of postdoctoral and early career researchers, supported by our Doctoral College
A great educational experience
- Our international students are the most satisfied in the UK
- The employability prospects of our students have continued to rise despite the global recession
- Named as The Times and The Sunday Times Sport University of the Year 2016
Departments of University of Exeter
Under grad Content